Saturday, July 30, 2011

Top Ten Reasons to Foster an Animal: Reason # 5

Reason # 5: When you foster a dog or cat through an animal rescue organization you instantly become a part of a large network of other people who share your comittment to helping animals. Maybe this sounds like a no-brainer, but I can't descibe how good it has felt to know I am not alone. Let me put that another way: It feels a lot better to be a crazy pit bull lady rather than the crazy pit bull lady. When you're a part of this community you've got back up.

No one can do animal rescue on their own for long. It's too emotionally taxing, unpredictable, and sometimes downright hard. I have been so lucky to find myself volunteerig with two organizations made up of dynamic, devoted, hard-working people. Is there sometimes drama, crisis, and dischord? Yep. But I know that I always have a network of competent people there to help in a pinch.

Whenever I bring home a new foster dog I find myself saying to them "Don't worry. You've got people now." The same goes for me. Thank you to CBBR and Hyde Park Cats for letting me be a part of such a badass community of good people.

Pictured: CBBR volunteers Carole (with Tiwi), Bree (with Teddie, who is still adoptable), and Director Carolyn.

1 comment:

  1. I also find it preferable to be "the Hyde Park Cats lady" and not ... just "cat lady" (shudder).

    ReplyDelete